For all surgery please wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing. Tops/shirts should have sleeves that are easily drawn above the elbow. A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors. Please take any premedication required before surgery at the time directed by your doctor.
We offer several different types of anesthesia which require different preparation on your part. Please follow these instructions prior to your appointment. If you have any questions, please contact the office.
- You may have a lighter meal than usual, but fasting is not necessary. If there is a chance you will want an IV general anesthesia, you will need to eat or drink nothing for 8 hours prior to the appointment. By doing so, if local anesthesia is not adequate for pain control, an IV general anesthesia can be performed that same day.
- For more extensive procedures, you may want to have someone drive you home.
- Plan to rest after surgery. It is usually recommended not to return to work that day.
IV Anesthesia or General Anesthesia
- Nothing to eat or drink (including water) for 8 hours prior to surgery. The exception is to take any regular medication or premedication prescribed by the doctor using only a small sip of water.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you home after surgery.
- Plan to rest the remainder of the day. Do not operate any machinery, autos, power tools, etc., for 24 hours after surgery.
- Insulin dependent diabetics should receive special instructions from the doctor. Please bring your accu-check machine and insulin kit with you on the day of surgery.
- Patients with asthma should bring their inhalers with them on the day of surgery.
- Cardiac patients requiring nitroglycerin should bring it with them on the day of surgery.